Friday, March 9, 2012

WIYBCTR DAY 9 - Our Blessed Hope

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teach us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawlessdeed and purify for Himself His own special people, ealous for good works. - Titus 2:11-14 NKJV


We lead not-so-perfect lives, and we inhabit a less-than-ideal world. Things go wrong, people misbehave, bad things happen, and hope is sometimes in short supply. But even when life seems to be spinning out of control, we still have every reason to be otimistic about our futures. Why? Because we are loved and protected by the Creator of the universe, that's why!


One of my favorite quotations comes from the author and theologian C.S. Lewis, who observed, "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." This quotation remins me that it's ok for myh life to be less than fulfilling. In fact, it's entirely possible that my deepest desires for physical, relational and emotional healing are being intentionally left unmet in order to point me toward something that is far greater.


There is joy to be found in this life through jesus christ; yet, he will not let our joy be complete here on this earth. Any sense of wholeness we feel is simply an appetizer. any display of splendor on this earth is simply the opening act for His "glorious appearing."


Is it possible that God leaves an ache in my soul to remind me that this worl is not my home? Does He leave that tinge there ti impassion me to tell others about that hope?


This is our blessed hope: that we are His and will some day spend eternity with Him. Until then, we are strangers and foreigners, left with the scars and the limps, and all the other subtle reminders of that sweet truth: we are not home yet.


We have a blessed hope: that we will spend eternity with our Father in Heaven. But until then, we remain strangers and foreigners here on earth, reminded constantly of the bittersweet thruth that we are not home yet.


(Disclaimer: I took this from the book "What If Your Blessings Come Through Raindrops" by Laura Story. I make no claim to the above as my own work.)


There have been times in my life that I have longed for certain things, wondered why others were blessed with xyz but I wasn't. This devotion gives me comfort that God isn't trying to keep good from me, but to keep me longing for home. That makes the other stuff easier to deal with. It reminds me of the song I have posted on my blog so many times before "You left us with the greatest gift of all, because our hearts ache for home."


This is the day which the LORD hath made ; we will rejoice and be glad in it. - Psalm 118:24

Be Blessed,

Weight Loss Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment