Thursday, March 22, 2012

Happy Birthday Aunt Flossie.

Today is my great-aunt Flossie's birthday. If she would've lived she would be 95 today! It sure doesn't seem like it's been that long since she left. We celebrated her 90th birthday the year before we got the boys. It was the year before she entered the nursing home my cousin so calously threw her into. I am still working to forgive her for what she did to my aunt.

Aunt Flossie was more like a grandmother to me than an aunt. When I was growing up she was the one who would care for me while Mama was working. She seen me off to school each day during those elementary school days (pre-homeschool). She cooked for me. She listened to me. Most importantly, she helped set a strong Christ-centered foundation for my life. I never really took the time to tell her how much I appreciated all she did for me, but I am so thankful I will get the chance to when I get to Heaven.

During her last years she'd moved into a "retirement community" type apartments. This is where she was living when I met John. I will never forget the first time John met her. She was making dinner for us. She'd sent us to the store to get some things for the dumplings she was making. Among the things on her list was Ivory dish soap. Flossie made her dumplings with buttermilk. John had never had REAL chicken and dumplings before so he always teased that she put dish soap in her dumplings because they were "tangy."

Another time was later that year during Christmastime. She wanted to mail Christmas cards out to people. As I was addressing them for her she was singing Santa Claus is Coming to Town. She looked over to ask me if I was going to mail something and it went something like this "Oh you better what out...are you going to mail that?" So my husband, being the geek that he is decided to make a story about the ninja mailbox assains who would jump out of the mailbox when you were going to mail Christmas cards. He claims he will one day write a story about said situation. Now every time we write Christmas cards or sing that song we think of her.

I remember her cooking. No one could cook like Aunt Flossie. She made the best Banana Split Cake. The year after Michael died, John made this cake for my birthday to help raise my spirits. (We found out we were pregnant with him on my birthday the year before.) He has continued this tradition each year. His is good, but it's nowhere near as good as Aunt Flossie's. My favorite meal was when she'd make fried chicken, fried corn and biscuits with sliced tomato and onion. I told you there was a reason for my weight problem. ;-)

There are many times I wish we could go back to yesteryear, even for a moment so that I could have one more...minute...day...hour...meal...with her again. I know that would never be enough though.

I am so thankful for the time and love this precious woman chose to pour into my life. She didn't have to. She could've said no. She didn't have to step in and help raise me. She could've made Mom put me in daycare. I am so thankful for the sacrafices she made for me. For many years she gave so unselfishly.

Happy Birthday Aunt Flossie. I love you more than you know. I miss you so much.


This is the day which the LORD hath made ; we will rejoice and be glad in it. - Psalm 118:24

Be Blessed,

Weight Loss Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment