Saturday, March 3, 2012

WIYBCTR DAY 3 - We Pray For Blessings But What Kind?

We Pray For Blessings, But What Kind?

For now we see indistinctly, as in a mirror, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will know fully, as I am fully known. - 1 Corinthians 13:12 HCSB

When you pray for blessings, what kind do you pray for? If you are like most of us, you probably pray for things like health, wealth and safety for yourself and for your loved ones. and, if you are like ost of us, you're probably disappointed if God doesn't give you the things you've asked for.

Because we're only here on earth for a few short years at best, we human beings have a decidely short-term perspective. Usually, we pray for the blessings we believe will improve our lives today, or tomorrow, or next week, or next year. But, God has an eternal perspective - He sees His creation (and we're all a part of that creation) in the context of eternity.

Time and again, the Bible teaches us that God is sovereign and that He reigns over His creation. Our Heavenly Father has a plan for the world and for our lives. He does not do things by accident, but we cannot always understand His purposes. Why? Because we are mortal beings with limited understanding. And although we cannot fully comprehend the will of God, we should always do our best to trust the will of Godeven when we don't receive the things we've prayed for.

When events transpire that are beyond or control we have a clear choice: we can either learn the art of acceptance, or we can make ourselves miserable as we struggle to change the unchangeable.

Learning the art of acceptance is difficult for most of us, but not imposssible. Can you summon the courage and the wisdom to accept life on its own terms? Can you do it today?

(Disclaimer: I took this from the book "What If Your Blessings Come Through Raindrops" by Laura Story. I make no claim to the above as my own work.)

During the darkest days following our miscarriage with Michael I really questioned God. After all we had been through with our other children, this was supposed to be the one that made it! We were under the care of a doctor. I spent almost a week getting poked with huge needles at every turn. I had spent the last 7 months beening poked, proded and invaded in places that shouldn't be invaded with medical instruments. This little blessing came out of the blue and was gone almost as quickly as we found out about him. Why God? Why did You take my child? This CERTAINLY wasn't what I meant when I prayed for God to bless us with another child. I didn't pray for the blessing of having my heart ripped out.

Over the past 4.5 years God has helped me grow so much. I have always believed that children were a blessing, but I couldn't accept the fact that God kept taking my babies. God has placed people in my life, some have stayed and some haven't, that have helped me see how temporary this life truly is. God blessed me with Madison, Eli, Hannah, Felicity, Michael and Jeremiah because He loves me too much to give me lesser things. He CHOSE me to love them and carry them in my heart until I could carry them in my arms.

When Jeremiah died, I thought the reason my grief was different was because we found out about him only after he had died. I know now that isn't the case. The reason this grief was different is because I am different now. I realize that this life lasts but for a moment so if God chooses to bless us with a child who am I to tell Him no. John and I decided long ago that we would accept as many children as God chose to bless us with. We held true to that while we were involved in foster care. Why shouldn't that be true with our angel children? It hurts when our children die. It is the ugliest form of grief there is, but what kind of mother would I be to say "I don't want you. You aren't worth the pain and the sacrafice because I can't keep you."

I have now resolved to tell God "whatever." Whatever blessings...whatever trials...whatever...! He sees things I cannot see. He knows my life, my heart, my destiny far better than I could ever comprehend so if He decides that I should bear this blessing then I know it's for my good.

This is the day which the LORD hath made ; we will rejoice and be glad in it. - Psalm 118:24

Be Blessed,

Weight Loss Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment