Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Valley Days

Life is easy when you're up on the mountain,
And you've got peace of mind like you've never known
But then things change and you're down in the valley
Don't lose faith for you're never alone.

This is a verse of a song called "God on the Mountain" by the McKameys. Boy,
did this song ring true yesterday. My morning started off great. I was totally
upbeat and positive about things. Then John was late getting home from work, my
kids decided it was time to start screaming so loud that my ears were killing
me, and I felt like I was going to explode. I got cranky with my family. I
immediately apologized, but yesterday was a struggle to stay on top of my
attitude.

We had errands to run in the afternoon. The kids hadn't had lunch yet so I
pulled into McDonalds and ordered their food. I remembered what the nurse at the
clinic had said about if you HAD to then the best thing on the menu was the
grilled chicken snack wrap so I ordered one of those for myself. It was
surprisingly good. I could've found a better way to spend the calories though.

I dropped everyone off at the house and headed to the gym. I got there and
did my walk on the treadmill. (1.5 miles) I had walked a quarter mile when the
emergency cord got pulled. I spent the rest of my work out trying to remember
what I had already walked and the calories I burned. (It's the little things
that keep me going!) Once I crossed the mile mark, my feet started hurting so
bad. Don't get me wrong, they always hurt. This time the pain was so much more.
I got off the treadmill and walked back to the showers. My body kept telling me
to go in the wheelchair stall because I could sit down and shower. I knew if I
sat down I wouldn't get back up again. I finished my shower and started getting
dress. That is when I realized my flip flops weren't in my bag. I waddled to the
van and called John.

By the time I got to the car I was in tears. John thought something had
happened to me. He just listened to me and let me cry. He has really stepped up
to support me through this. I am so grateful to have him for a husband. Then I
called my sister and I lost it. I was at a super low point. We talked about some
stuff and she pretty much told me to snap out of it and keep going. The words
she used was what I needed to hear.

Being a loner all my life has left me in a position where it is very hard
to lean on others for support. I have NO problem helping others, giving to
others, etc. When it comes time to accept help or kindness it is very hard to
do. Having to lean on others for support goes against my complete way of life. I
don't WANT to feel like I am a burden or a bother to everyone, but I do. I am
struggling to overcome the mentality that I have to do this alone or that I am
not good enough for others kindness. This too is a process.

What did a I learn from the day? I will have "Valley Days" and that is ok
because I am human. I learned that my children are some of the best encouragers
I have in my life. I have learned that I need people in my life to support me
and be my cheer leaders. I have learned that I can't do this by myself. I have
learned that the God of my mountains goes with me through my valleys and without
Him I am nothing. I am thankful that His MERCIES are new every morning. Lastly,
I've learned that not all shoes are created equal! ;-)

Blessings,

Weight Loss Mama


Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is
in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at
a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment