Monday, August 13, 2012

Pediatricians and Sweet Conversations

This morning, two of my children had appointments with the pediatrician.  I woke up at 6:30 when I was supposed to be out of the house by 7.  Yeah, it was mild chaos in our house for a bit.  We got Sam and Isaiah ready to leave.  Isaiah had his appointment in May, ,but his triglycerides were elevated.  They wanted to recheck him while he was fasting.  I was really proud of Sam because he told me he wasn't going to eat breakfast until his little brother could have his, too.  As soon as blood was collected they enjoyed a baggie of Fruit Loops. Isaiah's blood work was fantastic as was Sam's.  At eight years old, Sam is such a little thing.  He is 4'1" and FINALLY made it to 50 pounds!! My kids and I need to switch problems.  They can't gain, and I have to work like crazy to get the weight off me. 


The highlight of my morning was when the pediatrician walked in the room.  There are several in the practice my kids go to.  This morning we were seeing my favorite guy.  He is a sweet old man who probably has grandchildren who are my age.  He walked in and said "Wow, you have lost weight!! Your hair is red now, too!"  I said "Yeah, I have 70-some pounds now.  The hair is compliments of my hair dresser, though."  He said "Well you look great! Keep up the good work!"  This man isn't only concerned with my kids, but he's taken the time to get to know ME.  He also asks about all of my kids when he sees them.  He knows each of them by name, too.


On the way home, I stopped by FedEx to mail a computer to Dell for repair.  Isaiah enjoyed finding the censor for the automatic door.  He kept jumping on it and laughing like he'd seen clowns in the circus. He was so funny.  After I left there I called John to update him on the kid's.


On my way home I called to talk to Dad's wife, B.  We had a wonderful conversation.  I just love listening to her talk.  She touched my heart when she told me she'd been worried about me because I hadn't called in a couple weeks.  I still look at myself as a huge inconvenience to this family.  They've done nothing to make me feel that way, but I still feel that way.  In fact, they have been nothing but kind and welcoming to me.  Dad and I are still finding our way.  We are all still navigating our way through all of this craziness, but B treats me like I've been a part of their lives forever.  She tells me stories about our family, stories when my siblings were kids, stories about when SHE was a kid.  She talks to me about Dad.  She loves to talk and I love to listen so we get along great. 


As far as "step moms" go, I have one of the bests.  She will never take the place of my Mama, nor would she try.  She's always been very kind when she speaks of Mama.  In one of the first REAL conversations we had, I was very apologetic because I was such a disruption to their lives.  She said the words I will never forget the rest of my life. "Honey, if you are D(Dad's name) then you are mine too. I have never made a difference between his kids and mine."   I hate the term "step mom."  I refuse to call her that.  I call her my Bonus Mom.  I mean no disrespect to my Mama when I call her that either. No one will ever take the place of my Mama, but B deserves more respect than the title of "step mom."


Blessings,

Weight Loss Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment