Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Illness That Will Not Go Away

Does anyone remember "The Song That Doesn't End?"  That is kind of the way I feel about this cold we have going on.  Toward the second week of December everyone started getting sick.  Everyone seemed to get better fairly quickly - everyone except Isaiah, that is. Isaiah is the one who usually ends up on breathing treatments when he gets sick.  Jewel-Anne is my ear infection girl.  Isaiah is my breathing problem boy.  Amazingly, we've managed to avoid breathing treatments so far.  He finally got better and we had one week where everyone seemed to be ok.  Then, everyone started getting sick again.  We kept trying to get into see their pediatrician, but that didn't work and we ended up at the ER last week.  When I called to make follow-up appointments on Monday, the pediatricians office couldn't even get all five kids in this WEEK.  Finally I called my doctor and moved the kids to that practice.  I am all for pediatricians, but when you have so many patients you can't see them all then there's a BIG problem. 


Yesterday was their appointment.  They aren't seeing MY doctor, but the lady they are seeing is amazing.  She took all five of the kids at one time and just went down the line.  She took the time to explain what she was doing and let them try it on her.  They got to look in her ears and listen to her heart.  After the first three were finished then John took them out to the van.  Sam and I were talking about our plans for the afternoon and I told him I was going to have to go to the Walgreens clinic later because my doctor was busy.   She looked at me and said "There's no reason for that, Mama. I can take care of you as soon as I'm done here." My ears were full of wax so they had to clean them out.  Every time they did I would start coughing and they'd have to stop.  I am surprised I didn't need a lung transplant by the time I left.  She said that my ears were swollen but not infected.  She told me to take some OTC stuff and call her back in 48 hours if that didn't restore my hearing (congestion is causing decreased hearing).  Most doctors would make you come back in, but she told me she'd call me something in if that didn't help.  I still can't hear out of my left ear so I'm going to have to do that. 

All in all most of us are starting to feel better.  The girls have a slight cold but it's nothing to worry about since they're still on antibiotics.  Their ears look better, though.  The boys now have ear infections, though and are on antibiotics now.  They put the boys on a different kind of medicine.  That has helped the GIRLS take theirs better.  The girls hate the taste of their medicine so I would have to chase them around the room and hold them down to give it to them.  The boys act like I am giving them candy when I give them their meds so now the girls have stopped acting so poorly at medicine time. Yay!  We've missed so much church lately that I am praying we all feel good enough to go by the time Sunday gets here. 


Blessings, 

Weight Loss Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment