Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Doctor's Appointment

I have dreaded today for almost a year.  Today I had my first real doctor appointment in almost 5 years.  When I was there in June, he only did two tests so he could write a prescription for my Metformin.  Today we had a "nice, long" discussion about family history.  I have gained weight since I seen him last, but he didn't seem too concerned.  He just encouraged me to work on things.  He said my ears were still filled with fluid and that's why I can't hear well. He gave me some meds for them.  My blood pressure was great, too!


I used to joke that the only thing that wasn't in my family history was cancer.  Then I met Dad and found that isn't true.  Both he and my sister have had thyroid cancer.  So we talked about that while I was at the doctor.    He said that he had no reason to suspect that I had cancer, but said that considering the history from both sides (mom had an underactive thyroid also) that it is only a matter of time before I am treated for it.  He said that it might not be today or tomorrow but eventually I would be treated for it.  He also told me not to worry about cancer because there was no reason to at this point.  He also said that while no one would be stupid enough to pray for cancer, that if a person had to have cancer this was the kind you would want.  He said that thyroid cancer is almost always non-malignant and you can easily live without your thyroid.  Still, we pray that is a bridge we never have to cross.    For now we wait for the blood test results.  He is also making me a referral to a neurosurgeon.  I will hopefully get that appointment in the next couple weeks and get the all clear from him as well.  We talked about a few other things that I will discuss in future blogs.


I absolutely love my doctor.  He is such a sweetheart.  He eased a lot of fears.  He is the kind of doctor who treats you like you are the only person in his universe when he's with you.  He always acts concerned about the things that concerns you.  He's just an all around great guy.  I am very blessed to have him in charge of my care.


That's about it for now.  I am cautiously curious about my bloodwork.  I want to know what everything says, but at the same time I don't.  Information is power, though. Right?


Blessings,

Weight Loss Mama

1 comment:

  1. Praying for quick results for your blood work and nothing serious to be going on!

    ReplyDelete