Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Searching for Home

My family has been looking for a church for a while now.  We are members of a fantastic church, but we've felt that God was calling us in a different direction for a while now.  We've checked out a couple different churches, but none of them felt like home. 



We had a discussion about what we NEEDED (wouldn't compromise) from a church and then there was what we WANTED (would be nice, but not necessary) from a church.  For our family we NEEDED a church that understood and respected our decision to worship as a family.  When I was growing up, we didn't even sit with our friends at church. We stayed together as a family.  I feel like God intended for the family to be together during worship.  It is our responsibility to raise our children in the Lord, so why would I send them off to someone else for them to be taught without me?  Our number one priority was to find a church that understood respected encouraged us to be the ones making these decisions.  I have no problems with children's church for those who choose to use it, but it shouldn't be forced on those who choose to "pew-parent" either!


The church we found absolutely had to preach the Bible on every subject.  Today's pastors seem to preach a water-down, make sure we don't hurt our offering with a little bit of the truth, gospel.  The Bible says you are either cold or hot.  The Bible is very clear about what is wrong and what is right. We needed a church that would tell us the truth even if it didn't feel good or even if it did hurt this week's offering.


During this discussion, I told John that we would know that we were where God wanted us because when we walked in, it would feel like home!  Now, home isn't the place where you go and everyone agrees with you.  It isn't the place you go where everyone is exactly like you.  Just like our family, we knew that there would be disagreements from time to time, feelings would be hurt, and we wouldn't always be told what we wanted to hear.  It would be the place where we go when we needed truth, where we were loved and accepted for who we are as humans and the place that helped us grow stronger.  It is a place where my children (who are tiny humans who don't pay tithes) would be respected as much as the man who stands up on Sunday morning and puts a grand into the offering plate.


Our list of wants could've been extensive, but they really weren't.  Good praise and worship music would be nice, a cry room would be nice, etc. Again, these were just wants, though.  They wouldn't be the deciding factor of whether we chose to stay at a church. 


Last Sunday, I sat down at my computer and was checking my e-mail.  I'm subscribed to Gil and Kelly Bates' blog.  The blog stated that they had started a church.  For those of you who do not know them, they are a precious local family who homeschool.  They have a rather large, conservative family.  I really admire them.  Even though I'd never met them before, they are someone I've looked up to for a long time.  Mama Kelly has all of the attributes I hope to have when I "grow up."  While no one is perfect, she always seems to be able to give a kind answer to anyone.  Not only that, but these parents are homeschooling veterans.  I feel like I could learn so much from them.  I immediately told John what I had found and told him we must check it out.  Saturday night, we called the hotel they are currently holding services at to find out what time service started.  We were never able to get a clear answer, really. 


We ended up showing up super early for church.  We had a lot of time to fellowship with everyone before Sunday School.   Sunday school was great.  It was simple enough so that it spoke to the kids, but was also geared toward the adults.  The Pastor asked questions and Sam actually answered one of them.  After the lesson was over, Kelly (the pastor's wife) came up to Sam and told him how proud she was for knowing the answer and for being brave enough to give it. (Oh she has only begun to discover the bravery of my children's mouths!)  One of their daughters sat in front of our family.  She was so kind to my children.  She asked me if Landon could sit with her.  I told her no because he doesn't tend to behave well enough to sit with anyone else.  She looked at him and made him promise that he would behave so he could sit with her next week.  It just amazed me that someone so young, who doesn't even know my family, was showing love to my children.  I have said it time and time again, the way to my heart is through my children.  Be kind to them and you will make a friend that no one could love you better, but if you hurt them you better pray for God's help because you will see Mama Bear.  Service was much the same way as Sunday School.  Music wasn't typical praise and worship music like we are used too.  It is the country, Baptist church music that I grew up on.  The hearts of those who were leading the music was amazing, though.  The sermon, like the Sunday School message, was on a level where the children could understand it but the adults didn't get lost in the simplicity of it either. The Pastor gave us a homework assignment for the month.  We are supposed to be memorizing Psalm 100.  It has been amazing to see my children working to memorize the scripture.  Liana has even been trying to do it with us.  Today I got a really cute video of her repeating Psalm 100:1. 


John and I have talked a lot since Sunday.  I won't say that we are 100 % sure we will stay, simply because it takes time to truly find that out.  I will say that I got the answer I was looking for, though.  We walked in and immediately felt like we were home.  It is rather intimidating to be around someone I look up to that much.  I often wonder what someone like that would think of me when I am at my rope's end and I yell at my kids, or the fact that my house probably won't be spotless for the next 18 years, the fact that my kids behave less than perfect 99 % of the time, etc.  Even with all of that, I still felt at home.  That was a feeling that I had hoped for, but never truly expected God to give me from anywhere I went.  In my 29 years, I haven't found a whole lot of places that feel like home.  I am still amazed when God decides to show off and bless me like that even when He doesn't have, too.  I am looking forward to seeing what God has in store for our family.


Blessings,

Weight Loss Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment