Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Symptoms

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is classified as
The kind of fatigue sleep cannot cure: Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is the common name for a group of significantly debilitating medical conditions characterized by persistent fatigue and other specific symptoms that lasts for a minimum of six months in adults (and 3 months in children or adolescents. The fatigue is not due to exertion, not significantly relieved by rest, and is not caused by other medical conditions. Symptoms of CFS include malaise after exertion; unrefreshing sleep, widespread muscle and joint pain, sore throat, headaches of a type not previously experienced, cognitive difficulties, chronic and severe mental and physical exhaustion. Additional symptoms may be reported, including muscle weakness, increased sensitivity to light, sounds and smells, orthostatic intolerance, digestive disturbances, depression, painful and often slightly swollen lymph nodes, cardiac and respiratory problems." 

As I look over these symptoms I realize I am almost a classic textbook case.  Of the above symptoms the only ones I don't have is the  is the sensitivity to light and sounds, fever and depression.  


Mid  to late last year, I started experiencing this "foggy" feeling.  It seemed that no matter what I did I couldn't think clearly and I would get "lost in thought" trying to remember what I was trying to do.  There is a running "joke" between John and I that if I interrupt him that he just lets me talk because I will forget what I am trying to say before he's finished talking.  I can be in mid conversation about something then suddenly can't remember what I was talking about.  While I didn't tell anyone at the time, this is one of the reasons I wanted to have the MRI done.  


It is nice to finally start getting answers, but it's very overwhelming, too.   I kept holding out hope that one day everything will just go away.  While I hold to the faith that God can heal me, I also believe that He will use this to help teach me something or to help others.  Which ever way He decides, I know that way is best.  

So now I am trying to get settled into my new normal.   I am trying to learn to rest when I need to and try not to do too much.  I feel very guilty for not being able to do more, but it isn't for lack of desire.  I am trying to find ways to spend time with those who matter most while still allowing me to remain in a comfortable activity level.  I am having to learn to let go of others expectations of me also.  It is ok to say no - in fact it is healthy.  Those who matter will understand and everyone else will get over it, right? ;-) 

Those are my thoughts.  I will close for now because it's getting closer to bed time and  the kids are going to watch a movie.  


Blessings, 

Mom of Many

No comments:

Post a Comment