Sunday, September 30, 2012

Halloween

I will be so glad when November arrives. Our family doesn't celebrate Halloween. When I was 8 years old, God convicted my heart and I told my mom I didn't feel it was right to dress up anymore. I never dressed in anything inappropriate, but that doesn't matter. My husband dressed up even as a teenager but we have both agreed that it isn't right.


When we started doing foster care we wondered how we would approach this subject with the children in our care.  We knew if we didn't get infants that they would've celebrated Halloween before.  We simply set down and told them that we didn't feel that it was right to celebrate this day and explained to them why.  The boys understood.  The babies have never known anything different. 


This time of year breaks my heart because of how it effects my family.  My children don't understand why the churches in our area choose to celebrate this day.  The  only thing I can tell them is that I don't understand either.  If the Bible speaks against the celebration of witchcraft, I don't understand how they think it is ok to hold celebrations for this day. Now, I know most of them call them other things, but Halloween is what they are celebrating.  I have had talks with my family and some friends because they don't understand why we won't let our children participate in the "harmless" activity of Trick-or-Treating. One of my children starts having nightmares from the first  moment they see decorations or any mention of the day.


My husband and I had a decision to make our first year as parents of living children. We always put our tree the first weekend of November.  We love Christmas that much.  October 31, 2008 we made a tradition we didn't even know we were making at the time.  My children looked heart broken when the kids started coming around so we left the house to go to Walmart.  We purchased Christmas decorations and went home.  We put up our tree that night.  I will never forget the night for many reasons.  Most importantly, it was the last time we'd be able to celebrate our family tradition with my Mama.  Little did we know that she would be gone 2 months later.  We stayed up until nearly 4 AM because we had so many ornaments to put on the tree.  Normally it wouldn't take as long but we were glad to have the extra little hands helping us out.  I have pictures of my two exhausted princes laying under the tree where they fell asleep. Landon had the idea to look inside the tree and Sam joined him.  Two minutes later, they were fast asleep!


So for the nest 32 days I get to watch my fb feed fill with pictures and status posts.  I will just count down the days until Christmas Tree Day!


Blessings,

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment