Friday, August 28, 2026

WORK - To Post After OJT2

 https://youtu.be/3CNqhpRycfY


Every time I tried to make it on my own/ Every  time I tried to stand and start to fall/ And  all those lonely roads that I have travelled on/ There was Jesus/ When the life I built came crashing to the ground/ When  the friends I had were nowhere to be found/ I  couldn't see it then but I can see it now/ There was Jesus/ In  the waiting, in the searching/ In the healing and the hurting/ Like a blessing buried in the broken pieces/ Every minute‚ every moment/ Where  I've been and where I'm going/ Even when I didn't know it or couldn't see it/ There was Jesus

This post will be made on FB on 9/4, but I am writing it on Friday 8/28. "Vaguebooking" will end one way or another one week from today. Hopefully, it will end in what I consider a favorable outcome, but either way, I know that God will be working all things for my good and His glory. Some of you may have figured things out by now. If you have, good for you. I am not good at secret keeping when it comes to my own personal info.

I want to start by thanking a few people. I had an "inner circle" through this. They were the ones who got the constant updates and prayer requests. They listened to me complain, fret and worry, and lifted me up through it all. (I am grateful for you guys) I seriously couldn't have made it through without their love, support, and most importantly prayers! John, Stephanie, Lynn, Cindy, and Alice, you guys were truly the most amazing people. I will never be able to thank you guys enough. I have prayed for each of you daily because that is the most appropriate way I could say "thank you" other than with words. I pray God blesses you abundantly for your love and kindness toward me!

In May of this year, God made it very apparent that some things were going to need to change in the structure of our family - financially. John has held two jobs most of the time since Mom passed away. I had went back to work at Walmart temporarily in 2024, but my body just couldn't physically or emotionally hack it. (It hurts to admit that even now, but it is the truth.) I went through a great depression at this point (this year) because I wasn't sure how to fix this. John and I talked about it and made a list of criteria of things my job would include IF I did go back to work. It would be a work from home job, ideally my hours would line up with John's primary job, etc. My mind is drawing a blank on this right now, although somewhere on my blog I have a copy of "the list" I spent the next few weeks putting in an insane amount of applications. I heard back from very few of them. Most of them were insurance companies, but I wasn't willing to do anything that was commission based. I needed to have a consistent income.

If I remember correctly, I had 3 interviews. The first one accepted me. It was a telemarketing company for political fundraising. I accepted the job because I felt I didn't have any other choice. It met the WFH criteria, but the hours were wrong. I figured it would give me some experience and then I could find another job after I got some experience. The job didn't start for a few weeks so I kept searching for jobs and accepting interviews. I had interview with a company that decided to decline. Then I had the interview with this company. This company started out much like the first company. The first interview was a group interview. There were tech issues. The interviewer ended up missing about 20 minutes of the first interview. I almost left the interview, but I just knew if I left that I would end up regretting it. When she finally came back, she said she was going to schedule a second interview with the next interviewer (This was a good thing...it was the next step in the hiring process).

I am going to detour here for a moment and say that I had been given advice from a couple people that told me to pad my resume. I had only had one job out of the home. I had done some babysitting/nannying. Other than that, I had worked one job 20+ years ago. They told me to put my time as a foster parent, my time as a caregiver for my mom, and my time as a "home manager" on my resume to fill the gaps. I tried to explain these to other companies, but I went into this second interview and told the gentleman, "I have very little experience outside the home. I have had one job outside the home. I have taken care of my family, homeschooled my children. I have experience, but not in the ways most people would count." He went on to ask me why I thought I would do well working from home and how I would stay motivated. I told him that I was an introvert who had homeschooled 5 children. I enjoyed being alone and I was a self-starter. He told me that he was also an introvert. I cannot be sure that my honesty is the reason I got the job. In fact, I felt I was giving him a million reasons NOT to hire me, but nothing else I had done had worked. Less than 5 minutes later he told me he wanted to offer me the position!

July 13th, my life changed in so many ways. I re-entered the workforce. I was so scared. I told John that I wasn't making a public post or telling many people until I completed training. Most of my reasonings were self-preservation. I didn't want to face everyone when I fell flat on my face - which I was totally convinced I would. We were told we would have 6 assessments we would have to pass with an 80% or greater in order to pass training. We also had Knowledges Checks, Quizzes, etc. We have had a LOT of exams. Some I have bombed most I have passed, but as I write this, I have passed all of my assessments. The final assessment is that they will score three calls this week and we will get our last score from the average of those calls.

Today is Friday. Our first day of OJT2, we start taking calls today and will take calls until next Friday. It is scary, although we took calls during OJT1 so we do have some experience with this. It is still scary, but our trainer says he has nothing left to teach us. Assuming we pass this next week, we will be released to the "floor" where we will be full associates. That thought is scary and exciting. We will no longer have the safety nets that we have now of being in training. Now if we mess up, we have little chance of getting in trouble because we are "babies" and there is someone there to catch us. While there is help available after training if we need it, the expectation is higher. We will all do great though.

Next week, we will meet our new coach and get our new schedule. I am hoping mine stays the same or close to it because it is perfect for John's main job schedule. It is only 10 minutes earlier than his with the same days off. If you are seeing THIS post, that means I already have the job/schedule and all worked out. I would be writing a different post if I do not pass training.

No comments:

Post a Comment